Recently, a co-worker requested a blog about keeping silver jewelry shiny. It's no easy task, especially if you leave your silver out in the open air; it will likely tarnish because of oxidation. So, what's my trick?
- Keep your silver covered once it's been polished. I have small cotton pouches that I keep silver pieces in, and then store them in my jewelry box. It really does preserve the silver for a longer period of time.
- Invest in good silver polish. I happen to like Restoration Hardware's- but it's hard to find online. I had to go to the store and search around their furniture section to find it.
- Remember to rinse your silver in warm water before cleaning; It helps remove some of the tarnish!
- Once you rub the silver polish on your piece (using either a soft cotton cloth or sometimes silver polish comes with a mini sponge- Wright's silver polish does!), remember to rinse the piece in warm water again. I even use a little ivory soap to clean if off really well.
- Pat dry with paper towels, and make sure to let it dry completely before wearing again. You don't want any residue to rub off on clothes or skin.