Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Green Thumb

As a homeowner, I am charged with the important task of developing my little piece of land behind my house, AKA my backyard. It's perfect space for someone who knows how to grow plants or landscape...two skills that were not passed onto me from my mom. She's an exceptional gardener. Tragically, my green thumb is barely a shade of sage.

HOWEVER, I'd like to redeem myself by saying I did successfully plant 7 beautiful hostas (a great low-maintenance perennial) in July, a generous gift from my co-workers. Then I came across this informative tidbit in September's issue of Real Simple magazine: September is the best time to buy plants! Apparently, gardening centers move their inventory to make way for the next season's plants, so there's tremendous sales of 30-50% off!

This was an exciting tip for me as September was welcomed in yesterday (where did August go?)- and we're starting to catch a whiff of cooler air. So, I'll be off to Lowe's or Home Depot as soon as the weekend provides me a break to catch the best deals. And then, my next task: planting them all...Better call mom...

1 comment:

  1. Hastas rock b/c they are waaaay low maintenance and sprout up beautifully! Now you'll just layer and add texture and height and color as you add to your garden -- just like planning an outfit! You go girl! - Lisa

    ReplyDelete