Sunday, January 10, 2010

Color Me Badd

Anyone remember that band from the early 90s? I just snickered to myself as I came up with it!

So, I'd like to talk more about the all important use of color- and I actually don't mean in clothing this time (while I do support that strongly). A recent visit with my friend Dawn reminded me of the value of fabulous painted walls in your home!

I remember when I bought my home and had the somewhat daunting task of choosing wall colors, I was nervous about the importance of those decisions. I wanted to create a good space, a warm space (I live in New England afterall), a space that felt soothing and calming, but also inspired creativity since it's my first home purchase.

Thankfully, my mom, a stylist fashionista herself, came into town and gave me all the right tips to think about when painting the walls. I even utilized an artistic co-worker who literally came into my home and told me (once I had selected my colors) which walls to paint. Who knew how INCREDIBLY important that advice was?!

So here's a few things to think about when selecting wall color and where to put the color: Happy Painting!
  • Choose a color palette that transitions well from room to room. I remember testing the walls with the three colors you see here to see that the green flowed well into the blue, while creating separate identity from the sand color on the far window wall. All three tonally work together well.
  • Use color to identify space. My home has several rooms that feed into one another without doors, so it was important to notice the transition from the kitchen to the living room. Here's a shot of my galley kitchen where I painted one wall pear green to show the "dining space" separate from my white kitchen.
  • Remember to use the walls to NAME space. My artist co-worker named this so well for me. I struggled with whether to paint the wall with the clock on it. It felt like a wall of my living room, but really, it is a hallway, which had a bathroom off of it, and leads to my bedroom. An important shift of perspective as I was again, creating defined spaces.

No comments:

Post a Comment