So in this year of 2013, I'm thinking this could be a good one for me (and for you!). And since I have been totally checked out since before the holidays, I am due a good, useful post.
13 fashion risks to take (for the ladies)
- Wear emerald green! (Do I need to remind you it's the Pantone Color of the Year?)
- Pair patterns: stripes with animal print, polka dots with floral...you get the gist. It may feel bold, but remember complementary tones help make it more cohesive.
- Don't be afraid to wear navy blue and black together- it's very European, Downton Abbey-esque. :)
- Invest in a new leather handbag. Save your $40-50 you spend on 3 or 4 random bags- just bite the bullet and own a good quality, real leather bag (sorry animal rights, folks). Black or brown- your call, but you will use it until it dies (which can be over 20 years!)
- For goodness sake, you can wear gold and silver together! It looks classy and can be fun when you stack bracelets or rings.
- When you find a pair of jeans (preferably that FIT WELL), buy two. I know it hurts to shell out that kind of money at once, but you won't regret having a back up.
- Try out those gel (shellac) manicures! Holy Moses, they last forever and my nails finally do not split. It's worth every penny. I'm considering Sally Hansen's home kit...
- Change your hairstyle. I'm not suggesting radical- but maybe tweak the color, shape it up, cut side swept bangs...you'll be amazed how refreshed you feel.
- Take care of your natural fibers. I will spare you my sob stories of moths eating my favorite sweaters, scarves, GLOVES (ugh), so go out and buy cedar planks/balls for your closet. Immediately. I am a fan of this wool/cashmere spray for the in-between times!
- January is a great time to clean out closets- I just donated 8 dresses from what I call "the wedding years" (lots of good friends who got married). I am not wearing them, and it's taking up valuable real estate in my Boston sized closets.
- Wear red lipstick. I don't pretend to believe make-up is my forte, but find the shade that looks right on you, and wear it with abandon. For this redhead, Mac's Lady Bug is a special pop of color.
- Wear a chandelier earring during the day- it is a special way to draw attention to your face!
- I think this is the most simple thing- but a smile increases your face value! So smile more (and for goodness sake, use the Crest Whitestrips to aid the impact!).
Happiest of New Years to you, my friends!